10 July 2007

Madison report



A new hair do at the pool.

Well, you know your are not in Indy anymore when the "Cheese Report" is featured on the radio! Who knew that California is the second biggest producer of cheese in the USA?? Of course, Wisconsin is the first, LOL, but Calif is gaining on us.

Lots to report from last weekend, but first, today. We found a long lost CD of Chinese music that Julia loved during her first couple of months home. It had changed cars and CD players so many times that it wound up in a packing box that went into storage. Obviously, it is my fault but . . . . Anyway, it is back and playing and my spicy dragon is dancing around the house.

We always wonder what Julia remembers of Chinese and if she recognizes words in both English and Chinese. When I asked her this morning whether she would like to hear her Chinese music, she said she wanted to hear the "cat and rabbit song." We know there is cat song because of the meows in a song, but I had no idea which is the rabbit song. In fact, I don’t think I ever pointed out the cat song in English. BUT Julia was able to point it out to me and the rabbit song as well, so at least there is some Chinese left in her.

I am finding a rhythm in the house. I seem to work hard for a few days and then need a day or two break. Today, I am putting up books on the shelves we put in the living and dining room. I hope to full the shelves and put up a bit of art today. Yesterday morning, I spent so-o-o long making phone calls to contractors, fence companies, handypersons, etc., that the morning was gone before I knew it. In the afternoon, Julia and I went shopping for window treatments! ME. Not much for shopping or curtains, I have been researching on the web and also emailing my friend, Jeannette (who appears to be an expert). I settled on going to JC Penny to look at their accordion shades for the living and dining room, and roman shades for my bedroom. I wound up with the custom shades of both kinds. They cost more than I had planned on spending but they should look good.

Julia never ceases to surprise and last night, Julia asked to read the Dr. Suess ABC book and a dinosaur number book. She listened to the number book but she did a lot of talking and repeating during the ABC book. Maybe, just maybe, she will get to reading in the next year or so.

Julia has been working with a Jump Start computer program for kindergarten. It has learning games and adventures. Julia has worked through most of the first level math games but is having a hard time with the reading games. She does play with it every day and I am working with her on the games. I am hoping that by letting her do the fun stuff and working with her on the harder lessons that sooner or later she will pick it up for herself. I laugh at myself for worrying. I need more faith and still more patience.

I am becoming very peaceful here. In this house. A picture, a bookcase, a soft bed, the porch. This may become a place of good stillness.


I am getting the first batch of emails from my Indy bookclub as they try to figure a meeting date (We tend to go through this every month), and wow, I feel so far away. I knew I was going to miss them, and the chatter that goes on. I have patience right now that it will take awhile to find friends up here but there are times I want to jump people I think I might like and drag them to the house for dinner.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: