21 December 2009

What should concentration look like?

I am trying to notice whether the new drug, Aderall, helps Julia. Now that we realize how wrong we were about the Guanfacine, I do not trust myself to observe anything.

What does an increase of concentration mean to a personality like Julia's? Was her detailed picture drawn during Sunday school more concentration? What about when she whispered tht she was bored to me during that too long for her lesson? And then, assuming that Julia is responding to the medication, what should I be seeing? Certainly, not Julia sitting down to do a page of subtraction. What does concentration look like for a child who has not understood why she is going to school, who does not really want to learn anything more? What am I looking for?

Today, Julia and I have the morning to ourselves. Then at 1, we have OT and speech, and come home to therapy here. This morning, we have the tree to decorate, holiday cards to get out, and the livingroom to clean up enough for the therapists this afternoon.

No comments: