10 June 2010

At Franklin School today, they did the moving on ceremony. All of the kids in the school assemble to sing some Franklin school songs, cheer themselves for finishing the year, and watch a long photo show of themselves. Julia must have gone to this assembly when she was a kindergartner but I did not know about it to go and see it myself. Last year, Julia and I were in New Jersey after my mother's death, and so this was my first and only chance to see the moving on ceremony. It was sweet and lovely. Julia managed to sit with her class for the entire time and I think she sang a few of the songs. Generally, Julia wants to stay with her group more often. Wanting to be included is good for her.

I loved watching the kids and the photo show, but it did sadden me. So many pictures of kids being together. Arms thrown around necks, playing together, big smiles. It will be years before Julia is in these pictures. I remember that there would have been very few pictures of second grade Suzanne with arms around some friend but looking back, I know that my painful shyness resolved by the middle teen years. Julia's challenges are much more serious than shyness, but I still hope that she too has friends for high school.

The play room wall is painted. Tomorrow we start decorating for dinosaur summer. I am aiming for lots of fun. I so hope that Julia thinks so.

My reference for the LEND program was emailed in yesterday and today, there was an email for me asking for an interview. I gave them some dates and times and hopefully, I will talk to someone next week. Oh, it would be so great to be in that program!

No comments: