02 August 2010

2 July 2010


Last night I wrote a long entry about the wedding and the day afterwards. Just as I went to publish, it disappeared. So here is trying to put it back together.


Alice and Jonathan’s had a lovely wedding. It was held at the National Liberal Club -- a very stodgy and beautiful men’s club. We shared a long cab with some colleagues and students from Japan. There were potests in the streets, not about the wedding, and after getting off the high way, it was bumper to bumper traffic. I felt like I was trying to get through the Lincoln tunnel.


The club was a lovely piece of architecture -- over 100 years old, maybe 150 years. the walls we covered with sculptured tiles on top and heavy wood paneling below. The walls were covered with pictures large and small of important liberal politicians and more than one person pointed our the most important or their favorities. Big wondows to the street on one side and looking over a good sized garden -- in the middle of London -- on the other. One woman I was talking to me mused on the idea of having a women’s club like this men’s club. it would never happen. At least, I don’t see it soon.


The service was cilvl and there are certain rules for a civil service -- I don’t know of the “do anything you want” wedding exists in England. Alice wanted singing -- the Rowlands are not religious, but they like a good hymn -- and chose “cheek to cheek” and “til there was you.” I was worried that a big group would not be able to sing those together, but when the time came the assembled guests stood up and sang like a choir! It was fun; there were chuckles. Somehow it felt very British. Another thing, I had some fear that my purple dress and peacock fascinator were a bit over the top, but there was nary an eyebrow raised. I received compliments on the feathered fascinator, and then fit in rather well. I loved the dress that I had for the wedding -- the same one I wore for the memorial service -- but do not think of wearing such things to stand out. I just like them. To be among others dressed comparably was fun and comfortable. I may become an eccentric old British lady.


We had lovely food -- Julia and the other little girl, Alice, who served as most junior bridesmaid, did not have the lovely lamb roast, but pasta with a red-cream sauce. It was the third night in a row that Julia had eaten. She ate well all three nights.


Julia was the featured child. Aunts, uncles (2 are pediatricians), cousins, and friends, doted on her the entire night. She was danced with, petted, and taken on walks. Nothing was planned but it did give me time to meet and talk to people. And I have been craving adult conversation.


Young women danced with Julia all night. Dancing, twirling, carrying. there never seemed to be a moment when someone wanted to play with her, dance with her, walk with her. Julia was indulged and she loved it. Her social skills, albeit not perfect by any means, have grown.


It was a good weekend -- the wedding on Saturday and Sunday’s tea at the Rowlands’ home. I felt taken in by a family of lovely people -- many of whom knew of me as I knew of them. Putting faces to names, and stories to personalities. I laughed and smiled and had a glass of wine.


I teared a few times -- Anthony walking Alice down the aisle, during Anthony’s speech when he noted that he and Harriet are married for 29 years and the groom’s parents are married for 31. We would have reached 30 on August 23. And I missed holding David’s hand -- a physical ache. I want to be taken care of, no, partnered. But the day was lovely apart from Cheshire sitting on my camera and throwing the lens off center and unable to work. (Thus, almost no pictures.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Suz.

Found myself wondering -- with all the loving attention, if Julia still thought of herself as being a dinosaur . . . ???

xxoo

Sharyn