04 December 2007

Wisconsin Snow 101

Julia summed up our Wisconsin Snow 101 this morning: "Yesterday, da blue car get suck in snow. Today, da white car stuck in snow."

On the positive side, just look at those two sentences!! Julia is speaking in parallel sentences, using yesterday and today, using the correct prepositions, using articles, and getting all the facts straight. What a genius my child is.

However, the facts are less than great and I feel like we are failing Wisconsin Snow 101. With more snow on the way tonight, as much as 8-10 inches in the prediction, we better get our act together. I have to get some sand for the new snow and I still have to do more chipping at the icy driveway from what we got on the weekend. Everyone says, very cheerfully I may add, that this is unusual weather for the beginning of December. But they seem all gleeful about snow on the ground. Now, in theory I really like snow, but I admit to being totally out of shoveling shape. Not to mention, chipping at ice shape. I am getting out and getting some chipping done – and it’s not from the snow itself, but from when the plow came – in the middle of a dark and dreary night – and deposited icy rocks of snow onto my pretty much cleaned driveway.

So we have been stuck half in and half out of the driveway both yesterday and today, just as Julia said. Each time, neighbors and passer bys stopped to help. It is amazing how much help springs into action here. And I don’t think it is just because we are new. Maybe that is some of the trick to the happiness about the snow. We are all in this together and we will get through it. How can I grumble when smiling people are pushing the car?

So even though the snow is a temporary downer in this paradise of Wisconsin, the people continue to be astounding.

No comments: