01 November 2007

Just another kid

I almost feel like changing the name of this blog to A Really Regular American Kid. We still have lots of catching up to do and between school and OT, we may just do it.

Yesterday, as Julia and I walked home from school and she recited a simple verse that they have worked on in school. "Blue bird, blue bird, what do you see. I see a blue bird looking at me." She said the verse with lots of animals and colors, and ended with her teacher and children. Julia rarely really shares things going on in school – I am never sure if she doesn’t remember or think to remember or still doesn’t have the chatty words of conversation. I know that lots of kids don’t tell their parents what is going on at school, but I’ve always loved sharing at the end of the day, and I hope that we can get Julia to do it. This was a great first step.

When we got home, we have warm soup for an early dinner, and then got the house ready and ourselves ready to loot for candy. Julia was cooperative when I put her in 2 shirts, tights and long johns before putting on her Spanish Dress. She LOVED having make up put on her. So funny that she even knew what it was, really. I so rarely wear it, Cheshire not home to see much of it and even she doesn’t wear it all the time. But my girly girl Julia knew to close her eyes for eye make up and offer cheeks for some color and pucker lips for the stick. She was almost startling beautiful for a bit of color here and there. I sighed big time, not wanting her to grow up too fast, and realizing that I don’t know how to really put eye makeup on Asian eyes. I am sure I will notice and learn. Or I will not have to at all.

We did a few houses alone and then caught up with two of our neighbors with 6 boys between them. Julia happily joined in, going door to door, yelling trick or treat, saying thank you, and wishing everyone to "Have a good night." She also enjoyed keeping a few lollipops out and eating them during our journey. We were out for about an hour when she asked to go back to our house – no problem at all. I let her stay up a bit later than usual playing with the best treat of all – a little tub of pink play dough. Then we went upstairs, put on pjs and brushed teeth, but kept on the make up, and read stories and went to bed. She was a bit fidgety getting to sleep, but who wouldn’t be with a much higher sugar level than normal. She was just a regular kid.

Wow.

No comments: