23 January 2008

Julia things

Two small Julia stories --

Last weekend, we had two very cold days with skies that were incredibly blue and clear. When we went outside on Saturday, Julia said to me, "Da sky not done." I asked her to repeat what she said and she said it again. I tried to figure out what she was talking about but had no idea. Later, we were driving around and Julia saw a smoke stack spewing out white smoke and Julia told us about making clouds. Still, I had no idea what she was talking about. She also commented about smoke we saw that was passing through the bear limbs of trees. Then, on Sunday, we were walking and Julia wanted me to blow out the cold air smoke. Julia told me that "we were making clouds." Putting it all together, I think that Julia was trying to figure out how clouds got into the sky. Julia loves clouds. She sees shapes in the clouds and loves to look at the clouds when we fly. And now she "knows" that clouds come out of smoke stacks, get caught in trees, and are made by Julia and I as we breathe out on very cold days.

Tonight as we were cuddling in bed before Julia fell asleep, she said, "Mommy, I smell you." I couldn't have been smelling too bad, so I asked, "Do I smell okay?" And my little girls who is getting better at answering questions said, "Yup. I love the way that you smell, Mommy."

At speech therapy today, Julia showed signs that she is beginning to adapt to school and testing. Carol, her therapist, put out two cards and then asked Julia which of the two went with a third card that she gave to Julia. The matches were easy -- tooth brush and tooth paste -- but Julia did about a dozen without making one mistatke. And also with patience. She did tell Carol when she was finished.