10 March 2008

Leaping forward?

Another incredible few days. We pushed the clocks ahead but that didn't change the amount of snow we have. Is is ever going to melt?

On Friday evening, we went to the Y. We have been coming on Friday nights to let David work out while Julia and I go to the family gym and Julia plays in a series of blow up obstacle courses that the Y puts up. Lots of bouncing, crawling, and sliding. Previously, I had stood near to where ever Julia was, guarding her and the other kids she bouncied near. This past Friday, I tried to stay a distance away to see if she (1) would interact with kids, and (2) to give her some measure of independence. She moved around going from structure to structure with her shirt pulled up in front of her mouth and nose. If she didn't need her eyes, she would probably pull the shirt up further. This behavior causes people to look at her and I wish they wouldn't but I am not going to go on a campaign for her to stop. She least, not yet. There wee no girls her age this Friday, but she rompes around with some boys. Watching her, I was sure she had missed out on lots of early movement and needed to make up for it.

On Saturday morning, we were back at the Y for Julia's first organized swimming lesson. She is in a very beginner class, and if she was able to listen and take direction easily, I am sure she would be passed out of this class. She can do everything they will teach her, but we need to get the listening component down. Incredibly fortunately, she is being taught by a guy who (1) recognized she was austistic (David commented that what if he asked me about her and she did not have that label – good comment), and (2) encouraged me to keep her in the class (which I have every intention of doing if at all possible). He told me that they could have 2 teachers for the little class of 4 and that there will be someone to always work with her if she needs it. I think we have found someone else that she needs.

I met a woman of another of the kids from this class. We chatted very easily which is rather unusual for me. I can start those kinds of mom talks but most of the time those chats fall off after kid information and pleasantries are exchanged. We talked the entire lesson and left saying how nice to meet and see you next week.

Oh, I do need some friends up here.

Her son has taken the class twice before, so he knew the drill was still was not comfortable in the water. She really loves this teacher. Sounds so good to me. Persistence and patience are necessary but people do come into our lives when they are needed.

David went to Indy for the weekend. His newest play, Kritis, was read for the second time on Sunday. We hope to see a full production later this spring or fall. Julia and I had a girls' weekend. On Saturday evening, Julia and I went clothes shopping! We visited a mall, went to a kids' clothes store, tried on a few clothes, and bought a skirt and shirt. Julia was not over stimulated, she was not scared and had no meltdown or tantrum. She held my hand when I asked her to and she talked to the sales people. Okay, she did sneak a few sips from one of the sales girls' soda before I caught her at it and stopped her.

Anyone who knows me might wonder that I greet this development with such glee. I hate to shop. I never shop. And I believe that the internet was developmed (probably by Al Gore) expressly so that I could shop online and never have to see the inside of a store. BUT sometimes even I concede the need to try on clothes before buying them! Julia is growing like the proverbial weed (not that I can see any weeds yet) but she has a tiny waist and butt and I don't have any skirts to fit her. She is definitely tall enough for size 7 dresses but the 6X skirt that I bought in early winter falls off her. So we needed to shop!

Julia can still fit into a 5 but it is tooooo short. So we bought a size 6 that is somewhat adjustable. I am going to be looking for elastic waistes for the spring and summer! Also, she was willing to try on and to wear a skirt with the little pants underneath. She absolutely refused to even consider these last year. Ha, ha, we are moving closer to pants all the time. Maybe I will look for some loose legged shorts.

Darn! I cannot post pictures this morning. And I had a great bunch of “fashion show” short of Julia in her new outfit. I'll try again tonight to get them up.

No comments: