29 March 2008

The step back

There have been some good things going on here this week, but today Julia's behavior took a great nose dive and it's been a struggle all day. She was back to shouting "No!" to everything (we have been working on using a medium voice instead of a very loud voice, and Julia has been a lot less negative about transitions). Julia didn't listen, she was uncooperative at the grocery store, and although she did okay at the clay store painting her latest projects, she was not at all careful with painting her turtle. She also did a lot of hitting and pinching today and had to sit in her naughty chair. Her table manners were awful, she kicked the table and the back of the driver's chair in the car.

This doesn't sound like much but what is bothering me is that she was so far from her best today. I demand her best all of the time, that we move forward -- maybe I am too intent on this. I don't want her to be disabled, not by her delayed development, not by autism. But maybe, just maybe, I need to let he be at times. I don't know. Yes, I do. I am afraid of her losing ground. I am afraid that the progress that she has been making will stop.

Okay, now the good things--

Julia is using "I" much more. We have to remind her at times but lots of times she self-corrects when she refers to herself in the third person.

Julia is pointing out letters more and more. Many times she is guessing and is wrong but she is interested in doing it.

Julia is counting everything. She doesn't always stop at the end of whatever she is counting but she is counting herself up to about 12.

Julia is doing a sheet of pre-writing exercises and letters each day after school. She does it for a sticker -- if she does it when I tell her to and it is neat. Again, like reading books to her and like counting, she is just doing this because I tell her to (and she gets her sticker) but I believe that such willingness to do this work says very good things about her continued development.

Julia got her first groups of 10 stickers this week and we went to Toys-R-Us and she chose a new little pet! I think the second 10 will be tougher to get, but we check the special calendar each day, get a sticker or two, and count them. I had hoped that she would get another 10 before I left for Connecticut on Tuesday but I think it will be later next week.

Julia went to school the day after we went to the toy store and told her teacher, Christie, and aide, Amy, about getting her stickers, counting them, having 10, and going to the toy store to buy her new pet. Julia doesn't often tell stories either at home or at school, so this was something special and very cool. Of course, she also told them that we were going back to Florida! She wants to go back to the beach and to visit Mommy's friends!

Today, when I was reprimanding her in the grocery store, Julia told me that I was hurting her feelings. Whew, I had to stop and scoop her up.

Maybe it wasn't a step back today.

No comments: