21 March 2008

We are being visited by a very fierce late winter snow storm and it is a perfect day to stay inside and work with clay. Julia and I found an interesting clay book – Ceramics for Kids, by Mary Ellis – with lots of ideas for projects and lots and lots of pictures. We are due to go to our ceramics shop – Fired Up – tomorrow (depending upon he weather of course) and I want to see if we can bring a clay creation or two to fire. Or to see if it can be fired. Our directions have been simple enough but I figure that we will do everything wrong for the first few times. What is there to do wrong? I have no idea; if I did I wouldn't do it.

We had a great time at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells yesterday. It was warm inside the water park, it was crowded but not jammed, loud but not unbearable. Julia did not seem bothered by the intense sensory imput although I needed to go to a quieter place for lunch. We spent the morning in the kids' pools, the lazy river, and the hot tubs. I asked Julia if she wanted to go down the big slides and she refused. After lunch when we were in a hot tub, Julia saw that some of the big slides used rafts and she wanted to go down those slides. We went down three different slides a number of times each and I was the one who had to call it quits. At some point, my tummy decided that the speed and zig-zagged journeys down the slides were a strain and I certainly didn't need to get car sick on a water slide. Julia was or acted very disappointed to stop sliding. Last night when David put Julia to bed, she told him, “No more slide” and “Back to the puppy house, no slide.” Maybe she was not so very disappointed afterall.

There are a few words that I have told Julia I don't want her to say. I made this rule a few months ago when she brought home the word “stupid” from school. The words include “Stupid” and “shut up” and if I remember correctly, I had the same rule with Cheshire at about this age. Julia has not used these words since I laid down the law but I did not think much about it. A few nights ago we were watching Ice Age in which both words are used (Yes, I know “shut up” is not a word!) and Julia reminded us that both were bad words. So my little girl listened and is obeying my rule.

No comments: