20 March 2008

Spring Break

Julia is on spring break -- which I think should be called "Still-winter Break." Yes, it is getting warmer bit by bit and the snow is melting. Again, bit by bit. BUT we are spending most days in the 30s with a few reaches to the low 40s.

Anyway, the break. I had planned lots of out of the house activities, but Julia has wanted to spend her time here, at home, inside, playing by herself and with me. All okay.

She is watching Sesame Street! Really watching it -- counting when they count and saying her ABCs when they do that. I actually wish they would do more of that -- they used to when Cheshire was watching it. Lots of the "lessons" in the skits are going over her head, but the birthday party short film, which they've shown every day, is accompanied by Julia singing. She wants a pinata. LOL.

We had a play date yesterday with a friend from school. Julia and A run around together in the school yard and build lego in the class room. They are both on the spectrum and have some socializing challenges. It was interesting to see them interact -- some of the time they played together and other times they were at oposite sides of the house. It was also a start, a good start. Even though A was not a model kid to "teach" Julia about appropriate socializing, the play date gave me more confidence. We need to move towards finding a model friend -- as recommended by the Waiseman doc. This would work better if I had a friend around here with a kid willing to learn to play with Julia.

Julia did not have especially good OT and speech appointments this week. She is more compliant and more willing to transition between activities, but she spent more time hiding in her shirt and acting tired. It made me feel like she was taking that step back after weeks of moving forward. Of course, I worry each time she does not move forward, but I also realize that I have to cut the kid a break. Sometimes I find it hard to be the one who prods her ahead and who is always teaching something, and at the same time who understands that not every day is a step ahead. I will learn.

Today, it is sunny, but chilly. Julia and I are going to drive up to Wisconsin Dells and go to an indoor water park. Tonight, we are expecting snow -- 4-8 inches (no comment necessary) -- and we will spend lots of tomorrow working with clay. We found a library book about kids working with clay and Julia is really excited about using it.

No comments: