06 December 2008

Changes

Playing various computer games, I have noticed that Julia is not good at putting things in order. She can sing and recite the alphabet but cannot fill in the blanks when there are missing letters, or numbers for that matter, in a row. So, I took out some letters and we worked with putting A, B, C, D in alphabetical order. We tried over and over with me coaching her. Nothings seemed to work and she could not seem to do it. Then, I started to tell her that her order was wrong when it was. That was what she needed. Some black and white on my part! Once I was letting her know what was right and wrong it took her three times to put those letters in order without my help. And she did it quickly.

I think she had no idea what it meant to put letters in order -- sometimes there seems to be such gaps in what she understands. She doesn't let on that she doesn't understand but once she gets it, she has no trouble doing it. I don't think it is inability, I am almost sure it is not inability.

She is having the same problem with patterns. I have to find a way to explain working with patterns.

My girl who would not wear pjs and then would only wear nightgowns has turned a fashion corner -- well, a sleeping fashion corner. Brought on by the winter, I dare say. She like pj bottoms and tee shirts! And just tee shirts if it is warmer. (And thank you, Sarah Grace and Lisa, for handing down a stack of Sarah's old tees) Of course, I have only two pj pants, but we can do this.

More snow expected today. We are doing our Saturday swimming and then maybe a visit to the Mall to find Santa and ask him for the Little Pet Shop House before we do our massive food shopping. I have got to get geared up for baking next week! Yes, it is Christmas time.

No comments: