02 August 2009

Sacramento

It is close to evening and we are in Sacramento in a Holiday Inn that sits between a Mall and a very kitschy "old" Sacramento. I don't know if the buildings are authentic to any extent but I did spot a store that does old fashion pictures and I could have fun doing that with Julia.

Julia loves traveling but today she was pretty negative about leaving home -- too soon after our Jersey jaunt, I think. She warmed up in the plane and started talking about not going back to China. Does every trip remind her that of that traumatic journey home?

"I a Chinese girl, but I not going to China."

And I agreed.

"Julia a cute little China girl?"

"Very cute. Very beautiful. You are my Chinese girl."

She seemed satisfied with that, and when on to talk about her squirrel family who is making the trip with us.

In the Mall there is a take out Chinese place. Our eating is messed up today and no one feels like supper but in another hour we have a dessert reception to attend, so we have to get something for Julia to eat. We get a big container of fried rice, that is not really what I think of as fried rice but it has a few vegies in it and is not too salty, and she is chowing down on her first rice of the day before we let her loose in the dessert reception.

Maryanne is right. I will let Julia eat rice when she wants it, even three times a day if that's what she wants right now. She is still eating some vegies, eggs whenever I make them, some fish and a little meat. She still doesn't always say that she is hungry but she will not starve.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Re: Rice. Our rice cooker is always on warm with rice awaiting anyone who gets hungry. Here you get rice with every restaurant meal, including McDonalds. LJ likes it for every meal. Pancakes and rice. Mashed potatoes and rice. It is just 'food' to Asians apparently.