05 September 2007

Second day of school

No, I am not going to report on every day of school. At least, I am not planning to, but who knows?

Julia was up early this morning and in a feisty mood. She was immediately loud and demanding and did not like whatever Daddy said. I was trying to catch my extra 15 minutes. I got up to shower and found out that Julia had taken off her pj's but was refusing to get dressed. In an effort to covince her to get dressed, I received some punches and kicks. I picked out clothes for her and gave her the choic of getting dressed or sitting on the step before I finished showering. She chose the step. She agreed very reluctantly to get dressed afterwards and we headed downstairs for breakfast. I told Julia that if she was a good girl in the mornings and got dressed without fuss, I would let her watch a bit of tv before breakfast; however, because she did not have good behavior this morning, there would be no tv. She accepted this without comment. I suggested that she play with lego before breakfast. She also really enjoyed watching me pack her lunch box. Today, she will eat Chinese noodles, a cheese stick, strawberries, and raisins. She has a little bottle of water to drink. This is approximately her lunch when she is at home. I am going to try to pack lunches for the time being.

Julia ate, brushed her teeth, and I fixed her hair. We left early to play on the playground. Julia and I were the first ones there -- some kids went inside for breakfast, but we stayed and played. Julia went on a swing for about 10 minutes before the school buses arrived. She liked the quiet and told me so. When kids started to arrive -- and oh my, they burst from their buses with loud voices and very busy bodies -- Julia asked to be picked up. We sat down together, her in my lap and she told me that the kids made too much noise. She watched carefully and I think, she felt safe observing from my lap.

We went to find her teacher and aid (Christy and Amy). Julia took her name tag from Christy, and wandered a bit. I asked the teachers about her day yesterday and they said that Julia had trouble transitioning from place to place -- music, gym, outside -- but once where she was supposed to be, she listened and followed directions. This is an improvement over last year.

I left her with a hug and kiss. When the bell rang, she took Amy's hand and went with her class line into the building.

Okay, really big sigh!

No comments: