17 April 2009

In a NY state of mind

Can an 8 year old with trauma and sensory challenges thrive in NYC? I am scratching my head with how well Julia did in the city. Times Square with all of its visual, noise, human energy stimulation was greeted with an "I love this place." Yesterday's trek to the Natural History Museum where every child in Manhattan spent the day was similarly embraced. Apart from a few moment just before Julia told me she was hungry when she told me she was very angry with me, she was a well regulated and very secure child. She road the subways and the path trains and was only a bit disturbed by the noise. She answered many questions posed by other people and all in all was better than most kids her age. She did want a toy at the unlimited souvenier shops at the museum and was rather teed off that I refused. Truth be told, I would have given in but we do not have an inch in our travel bag to accommodate anything.

We are out to find a nursing home this morning and then to the hospital. I am not sure what we are doing for fun today -- lunch perhaps?

My mom will go to a nursing home for about 10 days while they finish up with radiation. No chemo is planned. Then she goes home. We are pretty far from having any sort of serious talk. My only use so far is to run errands which is fine but I am unable to be as responsible as I would wish.

No comments: