28 April 2009

Tuesday

Today looks to be a great gardening day! I have no appointments or meetings, Julia is in after school until 4. I have a free day! Planning for tomorrow, catching up on house stuff.

Yesterday's meeting between the school team and Marilyn went well. I don't know if there were any incredible new insights on either side but both sides pulled me aside to comment on their approval of the other side. Mutual admiration society time. We are going to do more to help Julia transition into second grade. Christy will take her to Beth's class some time this spring to introduce her to Beth and the room and show Christy's approval of Beth -- like a good adoption hand off, I hope. Julia will also be allowed and encouraged to visit Christy next school year some time during the day. We all agree that we don't want Christy to just disappear from Julia's life. Beth's class is a 1-2 which I had not asked at our IEP meeting. This will also help Julia.

I talked to Cathy, principal, about the "game" and blocking Julia's way into school. She will deal with it. It does emphasize how important it is to separate Julia from that little guy for next year. For the last two days, we have parked in back of the school and gone into another playground entrance. Today, for the first time Julia mentioned that she was scared of Aaron and I was able to tell her that she was safe and did not have to worry that she would have anything of hers taken from her. This is as close as I can get to what she is afraid of with Aaron. The issue appears to be one of pecking order for her and I am not sure how to address that.

In the morning, I went to the budget meeting for the PTO. This is the last time that I get to just sit and add my two cents when I feel like it. A half hour into the next general meeting, I will take over. I paid attention to people more than I usually do. I have to learn to work well with every member of this group and there are some that I do not understand, but all are committed to working to make the schools the best for our kids. I can work with that.

My request for money to keep our playgroup alive was debated and questioned. I have to do something for the next meeting -- have someone else present and motion for the money. They are looking for us to get other funding -- to make our group self supporting. I don't see that as something we can do right now or even in the immediate future. Another thing to figure out.

Julia was happy yesterday and this morning. I wonder if she is feeling safe?

No comments: