15 April 2009

Just Julia

We are missing what feels like so much therapy, school, and playing. We have been cuddling/holding almost every day, but not doing much home work at all. Julia has her clay and her pencils and notebook which she has started to call her journal. I smile about that one -- me who has such a belief in journaling, who has done it for more years than I have not, who was so pleased when Cheshire found it a tool for her life.

So Julia is creating -- yesterday, a dinosaur laying on his stomach reading a book, this morning a very detailed dragon and a little man with a sword.

Julia like attention and is enjoying some of the relative attention, but she has a line that can't be crossed. Listen to her, yes, but don't ask too many questions. She told my sister, Barbara, to stop with the questions yesterday, and she didn't back down when Barbara told her that she wouldn't talk to Julia again yesterday. Julia is fine tuned in her own way -- she does not tolerate too many invasions. She would be happy to talk all day about what she was interested in. Of course, of course.

She had an outbreak of anger yesterday -- pretty good considering all the running around I have made her do. At the hospital, I limited her cookie intake. It too a few minutes but she simmered and then exploded. She hit me. I found a quiet room and held her for a little while. In controlled situations, we are working together well. She will learn to self regulate.

Today, we will try to go into NYC after visiting the hospital. We will try to see a show. Julia's first Broadway show. We think there is one she'd have no trouble sitting through. We'll see about tickets. I am so far from the theater these days, but it is still important to bring a child as soon as possible to the cathedral, to the world I first loved.

No comments: