15 May 2009

Friday

I want to write this morning but the sky is clouding over and it is supposed to be cold and rainy this weekend. Every time I plan gardening, . . . . well, I guess I should not be trying to play but trying to take advantage of the best days.

Isn't that life?!

Some things --

Julia's slot for the state subsidized autistic waiver has come up. This means that she is illigible to get intensive therapy -- from 20-35 hours a week -- for the next year. She is also elligible for two more years of therapy which can mirror the intensive or be modified. I have chosen a provider and now have lots of questions. Therapists will come to the house. It is not be difficult in the summer without school but will be quite challenging when school begins. But if we see it helping, we will stay the course. Intensive therapy has been very effective for younger children, and I have a gut feeling that it can be effective for Julia as well. I will be in the house whenever a therapist is here, so I will monitor what is being done. I know that behavioral therapys can be counter productive for kids who suffer from trauma, but good therapists will find ways to move around this. This may also break up our summer days while still keeping Julia at home.

Recently, there is a house that has caught our eye(s). It belongs to a long time college friend who grew up in Madison. She lives in NYC but her folks remained in the great midwest. The house is part of her parents' estate and she is getting ready to sell it. We went to take a look and rather fell in love with this one story rather modern house. It was strange that both David and I liked it -- it is so different from everything else we've ever bought. There are many people interested in the house and the price is not set yet, so there is a very good chance we will not get it. BUT it seems that tastes are changing and our next search, if there is to be one, will include another style. I think that both David and I long for less clutter, clean lines and an more open layout. It is an interesting change.

Today in school, Christy, the teacher, was not there and a sub (also named Suzanne) took her place. It was a hard day for our kids on the spectrum. Julia got mad, as did Aaron. Another girl was very quiet, too quiet, and another ran around more. Also during the beginning of the day, another student threw up and needed to go home. So the beginning of the day was pretty hard.

I feel very at home in that room now and can relate to some of the kids. The writing workshop was very informal and I played games with the kids who asked me. I was surprised that a number wanted to play with me. Julia didn't. She was busy reading and writing, but she also did not seem to mind. We did do some cuddling in the hall during circle time to calm her down and difuse a bit of anger, but when it was time to work she released me, did her own thing, and allowed me to play with the kids who asked.

I'm going to try to get a few minutes in the garden before the heavens open.

No comments: