21 June 2009

Summer

Ummm, it certainly is. It was hot and steamy today, in church, in a house we visited, and outside all the time. We are looking forward to more very warm weather over the next week -- good time to try out our community pool and to do all necessary outdoor work in the early morning. By necessary outdoor work, I am talking about editing my very weedy garden beds.

Julia and I are settling in. She was so very well behaved while we travelled but I am seeing some backlash and regression now. She did not want to do any school work today and there were a lot of no's to every suggestion that David or I had today. She has gotten angry a number of times this weekend and today, threw her small backpack at me in the car when she didn't like what I said. We did some cuddling today but only after her behavior was beginning to dissolve. I was able to do a little bit of work with her today -- making a new calendar and doing a little reading on the computer. Using Starfall.com, Julia worked on a story. She was able to read all of the words that she knew -- mostly small words, but I am very happy to see her remembering. We will do more tomorrow and build her tolerance for the work.

Julia also is learning to walk the dog. She likes to be in charge of the dog as we take our evening walk. At first and weeks ago, she would be rough with the dog or would let go of the lead all together, but she is doing better all the time. She is beginning to understand how the lead works -- letting the dog go as far as she is able or shortening the lead to keep the dog closer. Julia is also learning about crossing the street. I don't know when she will accomplish both of these things but slowly, slowly she is learning.

We have a big meeting with our new social worker. His phone message says that the paper work will take more than two hours and is coming at noon tomorrow. I think we will reward ourselves with some swimming afterwards.

I have been feeling sad for the last few days. It was great seeing Lisa and Jeannette on Thursday in Indy, but I was reminded of all of the times during Cheshire's growing up and as Lisa's kids were growing that we talked about the kids, their incredible feets and accomplishments. Last week, we still talked about Lisa's kids' accomplishments, but I talked about Julia's therapy and how she was doing. I wanted the happier task of relating how smart and talented she is. I can worry so much.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Suzanne,

Please listen to your friends. Hear our words....your dedication, work, commitment, love, and encouragement are having a direct and lasting impact on your daughter's beautiful life. Remember what I said on my blog? And I'll quote.

"Maybe, just maybe, the damage that was done due to five years of institutionalization can be overcome enough to give quality and fullness to this precious life. After this visit with Julia, I am a believer."

Suzanne, you do not live with the same little girl that you brought home. I was there - I know. And so do your family and friends.

You certainly had better be talking about her accomplishments because they're huge!

Remember, just because they're not equal to her peers does not mean they are not HUGE! You and Julia are working hard and it shows. In EVERYTHING she does.

Please know that I'm not trying to dismiss your feelings because you have to process those, but I am here to encourage you and make sure that you see clearly.

I love you both!

Traci