16 October 2007

A good morning to pick up shoes

A good morning and worth noting if only because I tend to report the negative as it always seems more important than the positive.

David needed to sleep in a bit – we all have been laid low by the Franklin School cold which might just be the first Madison cold – and I took first shower. Julia woke up after I was dressed and we went downstairs to give Daddy a few more quiet moments. I turned on the tv and got her dressed – this watching a bit of tv while getting dressed is a ritual from Cheshire’s kid days. I didn’t really want to get into it again but David started it – yeah, blame David – and it works. Julia didn’t resist the tights much – better today than yesterday. We made lunch; she had breakfast – oatmeal with brown sugar and the noodle soup that would not fit in her thermos for lunch. We drove to school – I still don’t risk walking – and she ran into the playground to find her aid, Amy, and to meet some kids to tag and run with. When the second bell rang, Julia ran towards her class line. No, she didn’t get right on her line yet, but she is at least responding to the bell – or, she responded to the bell today. She hugs and kissed me and I left. Pretty successful morning!

On my own front – we’ve decided to take on city hall. Rather, the Board of Bar Examiners, to challenge their rejection of bar status based on reciprocity. There are two cases out from the WI Supreme Court, each with comments by the Chief Justice which favor my position. One is a dissent, one a concurrence, so her comments are not the law of the case. Still, we will appeal to the Board and if that doesn’t work we will try to Supreme Court. The court has changed sufficiently to think that we might have the votes. It is a chance and I hate to lose and lose my reciprocity fee which is substantial, but it is probably my only chance right now to get licensed.

Two things about Julia –

This weekend, when we were sending out Babja’s birthday card, Julia signed her name with help and insisted on drawing a picture in the card. The picture doesn’t look like much – but supposed to be a dinosaur. What else? – but I find it encouraging that she wanted to draw something. She has only drawn when we or her teachers require that she does it. Maybe pencils and pens are getting more interesting. And the drawing was carefully done, not just quick scribbles.

Our family therapist thinks that Julia’s attachment to us is progressing nicely. She has recommended an OT assessment for gross motor skills. She mentioned that some of Julia’s noises when she plays might suggest some autism. Sensory issues are also on the autistic scale, so this is not surprising. Scary, not surprising.

No comments: