20 October 2007

Saturday

Perfect Saturday weather. Warm with a breeze. Leaves of color fall, dancing in the sunlight. The green ones are firmly attached and I wonder what thye are waiting for. Ladybugs visit. We worked in our back garden this morning. David put some chicken wire at the bottom of the fence so that our great chicken biter remains where she belongs. I planted iris corms that I've been digging. I have another bed of them that I could dig and also some siberian iris in the front. I love the siberians and so I might dig those to spread them around.

I walked some corms to the folks who used to live here, and they traded me for some bulbs they had bought. I was not meaning to trade but it was great to get a few new bulbs. I asked if any are planted in my garden and there will be some. I am trying so very hard to keep myself from buying anything for the garden until we've been here a year And I am learning about this garden, but I want to make it over into my own.

After lunch, Julia and I took a long walk to look at the empty community pool (Julia's idea) and to visit a playground. Julia wanted to learn to slide down a pole but oh, she was sooooo scared to trust her arms and legs to doing it. I finally figured out the I could sit on the ledge of the equipment and help her get onto the pole while still having me support her. Not ease and I'm sure we looked very silly. I mean, she can do it herself, but she is just scared. But we work on her being scared. She does have terrific spirit. I told her that she didn't have to go down the pole whenever she seemed just much too afraid, but she insisted on trying. This kind of strength and courage is amazing to watch and so much fun to encourage.

Our playground visit ended when Julia started throwing stones at two dogs who were tied near by. It was Julia and another little boy, but the boy ran to his mother as soon as the dog owner scolded him. Julia ploped down in the grass. I apologized, she apologized, and then it was time for home.

She came home with some burrs in her hair and we sat on the porch working at getting them out. I wa scared i'd have to cut them out.

No comments: