03 October 2007

Riding to School

Julia and I rode our bike to school this morning -- need to get a picture of this because I think that Julia really likes it. We arrived about 15 minutes early and she spent the time on the swing. When the school buses arrived, she was ready to get off the swing and run with the rest of the kids. Amy told me that she does at times play with others – I assume it is more parallel play than interactive, but she does want to play with kids. She needs to learn gentle greetings like she needs gentle hands. I have to rein in my spicy dragon who gets way too close to a kid and announces, "Hi. I am Julia Dinosaur." She will get there.

Last night, David and I just collapsed after our conference with Christy. I felt both relieved that someone else, in fact a school system is really engaged, and sad that Julia has the chance of never really catching up to her peers. I do so believe in her though, and trust that her talents will lead her. We need to do more learning activities at home and disguise them as play. I probably should also read some developmental books on 2's and 3's and see if there are ideas and activities to present to Julia.

No comments: