31 October 2007

More and more and more

Julia is a wonder. Since the end of last week, Julia has discovered coloring and drawing in a big way. It reminds me of her working with with clay back months ago. This past summer when I would try to get Julia to work on the big white board that we have, she would tolerate me as long as I would draw dinosaurs. I would try writing letters, numbers, and drawing what she wanted, but I could not get her to add much to anything that I did.

She came home from school on Friday ready to work. She tore through her coloring book, using markers on page after page. Sometimes she asked for help, but mostly she did it herself. She colored better than she has before -- not quite in the lines, but with a deliberate attempt to capture the picture. Then she started in on the white board. I brought it in the kitchen and put it on a chair. I could cook and she could draw. Her drawing is still not completely recognizable but she draws person after person, sometimes telling stories while she draws -- all very dramatic, of course. Some of what might be characterized as scribbling after she is done with a picture is her effort to extend the story of what she had drawn.

On Monday, Julia and I went to get her assessed by an Occupationally Therapist. I am elated that we have finally found someone who is interested in putting things together! Julia grinds her teeth when she is happy. She also will taste and try almost any food and sucks on her shirt collar at times for comfort. Using these behavior as an example, the therapist said that Julia probably didn't get enough oral stimulation as a baby and these were her methods of coping with that need. In some instances -- like teeth grinding when she is happy or excited -- Julia has used her coping mechanism to sooth her in other instances. Ah! This is the conversation I needed to have! And I hope that insurance will cover OT -- Occupational Therapy -- and we can help Julia work out lots of behaviors.

Another good report from school on Tuesday and a pretty good report from afterschool!

I interviewed for a administrative position at the federal court up here. It is not a legal position but my options are a bit limited since I can't get into the bar right now. Our appeal letter to the board of bar examiners has been delivered but we have no idea how long it will take to resolve this, even if it can be resolved in my favor. Meanwhile, I need to work if I want my kitchen. Basically, we can live on one paycheck but anything extra at all is tough. I admit to feeling rather geeky about the court house -- I had a pain of missing the life of the court while I was getting the tour. Who knew??

No comments: