29 April 2008

Growing

Conversation while walking home from school.

Julia: Look, Mommy. Julia pulls at my arm, the one whose hand she is holding, so hard that I check to see if the arm is still attached to the shoulder. Where does the kid get that strength?

Me: Ah, Look at all the flowers. I see tulips.

Julia: No, Mommy. No tulips, lots of lips.

So goes the language lesson for the day as I try to bite my cheeks to hold back my explosive laughter. But, she is noticing flowers and other Spring green stuff.

Then again, it snowed yesterday. Just flurries and some hail, but snowed. I haven't cleaned out the snow blower yet, and maybe I am just going to wait until June to do that. The chances of real snow are pretty remote, but . . . . we are in Wisconsin.

Julia is growing. I have to clean out her clothes because I keep grabbing pjs and underwear that is way too short for her. She does not seem to be getting any wider, although the kid can eat as much we do at some meals. Cheshire was and is the same way, and that let her wear any of her favorite clothing forever. Which she did, and does. I wonder if Julia will be like that. She does have that feeling about shoes. I don't think that she had much in the way of shoes that fit in China. She loves, loves, loves her flip-flops, and couldn't wait to get them down from the top of the closet a few weeks ago when it turned warm for a few days. She has this pair of orange flipflops with a big flower on each one that I bought when we first came home in September of 2006. They are definitely too small and too thin on the souls, but the kid still wants to wear them. I don't know whether to hide them or just wait until she is done. I have told her that she can't wear them when we are going somewhere – although she did manage to keep them on last week when we went food shopping. LOL.

No comments: