22 October 2008

Just a few things

Just a few things --

I finished the bathroom today. Record time for a room for me. The deep grey, which David calls dove but in which I can see green rather like the old black board color of my school days, looks good. No, this is not the tile and new fixture work that we wished to have done but for now, the walls are clean and with color and the grey looks very nice with the white base board and mid-wall trim. Getting rid of the ghastly blue trim around the window and on the mid-wall trim is wonderful. I took down the small useless towel racks and put up hooks -- small and silver colored -- which will serve much better to hang towels, clothes, etc.

Next, I'll work on the back hall and then the kitchen. Just repairing walls and paint, and some new storage things for the back hall.

Tomorrow, I am going to have a little bit of surgery. Just taking a cyst off a finger but I have been threatened with weeks off the key board. When the doc said that, I asked him how much pain there would be. After all, I typed a few days after breaking my wrist two years ago, I can't see how a slit in my index finger would be much worse, but it may explain my absence in the next few days.

Two pieces of news that set me turning around -- We received a notice from our insurance that we have almost reached our maximum number of therapy sessions for Julia for the year. It means that we must cancel almost all of our speech therapy and OT until January. I have been going very light on home work with Julia with therapy and lessons, feeling that she needs time at home to play. With a bit more time at home, we've started reading and letter work again and I think she was happy to be doing it. Slowly, she is getting better at sounding out words to spell. We did a sheet tonight that had pictures and a choice of letters to circle. The task was to circle the letter the picture/word began with. Apart from not knowing what two of the pictures were (ax and ??), she did them all correctly. She still needs me to sit with her and I think she will need that one-on-one for a long time. But I am so willing. It is amazing to see her work on a page willingly now. It is amazing to watch her figure something out and look to me to see if her estimated guess is correct before writing or circling.

I was rejected from the public defenders office after the last interview. I was really disappointed. My interviews were not bad and I was beginning to relish the idea of representing someone, many someones. I have not written here of each application, interview, and rejection, but there have been way to many in the past months. It is time to conceive of this search for employment differently. It seems that I am not going to find work through traditional methods, or possibly traditional work at all. Time to get out of the box and look around, retool and re-envision.

Ah, I did manage to teach my first sunday school class moderately well. I was a bit too nervous to enjoy it, but I expect I will get to enjoying very soon. I loved reading the near-relevant book to the kids and explaining the crafts. We made fall arrangements and pine-cone birdfeeders. We felt the change of seasons and enjoyed cheesets and grapes afterwards.

And my computer is again in the shop. It has been there for two days and I haven't yet received the call about the poor thing's condition. With one finger and a computer out of commission, I don't know how I will go on. :)

No comments: