01 October 2008

Wednesday

Julia and I went to choir tonight. This is her third rehursal and I am still wondering whether we should be there. Julia is interested but over stimulated, anyway I think that she is. She is unable to sit by herself although she sits pretty well with me. Her behavior appears more disabled than I have seen her, but . . . . but she is holding herself to gether to some extent and she seems to like being there. At the end of the rehursal, she said thank you and good-bye to the director, Heather. And she told Heather that she loved music.

Midway through the 30 minute rehursal, Heather took out chimes that she wanted to introduce. The children took turns playing the chimes and they sounded beautiful together. Julia took part in this and I could see that she loved the sound that the chimes made. And so, is this where we should be? I don't think there is a right answer on this one. I am just wondering.

Julia's class has been reading books by Kevin Henkes this week. I found some in the library and we have also been reading his books at bedtime. Today, Julia brought home a paper purse that she made -- based on one of Henkes' stories. Inside of the purse, Julia had drawn two mice which were recognizable as based on Henkes' characters. She also drew this incredible duck -- daisy duck -- dress in a dress and singing and dancing -- with notes above her head. The duck was carrying fan-like things in her hands. Julia has started coloring animals in many colors and some of her coloring seems to be deliberately dramatic.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

We love Kevin Henke's books. Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse is a special favorite as is Chrysanthemum. Oh and Julius Baby of the World. Okay. They are all great.

Suz said...

And he lives in Wisconsin! Who knew??

Anonymous said...

ha - omg, i am such an elementary school teacher ... mom, i gotta admit, i love kevin henke too. what is this job turning me into? also, tgif!