28 October 2008

Tuesday

The cold is beginning to settle in and it is time to change the closets around and figure what what we need for winter. Gloves, gloves, and mittens! I have to find another pair like I had last year -- those I found. Lined wool and so tight as to be almost waterproof. We had a few more snow showers yesterday which were driven by fierce winds, and some Dad told me that his peek into a farmer's almanac told him to expect 120 inches of snow this winter. Yes, I better get those gloves!

The weekend seemed to fly by -- I was still recovering from what the docs knocked me out with taking incredibly deep naps each day and then sleeping hard at night. David has been doing the cooking and cleaning up and my finger is absolutely dry. There is little pain unless I touch the incision spot and the bandage comes off on Friday. Can't wait. Never realize how important an index finger is.

We had our firsr Unitarian super on Saturday. Two families came over, bringing parts of our meal and we ate together. Althought we started off a bit apprehensive, it was a good time. We compared notes on Madison, on FUS, and on life in general. When they left I realized how many conversation starters we had not used. I still had lots of questions. We are going to try to go to one of the church pot lucks all together soon.

On Sunday, Julia and David spent the day together after church and I went to a party hosted by the Arc of Dane County. It was attended by about 450 people, many of whom have developmental disabilities. I am doing some education related work for this group but this was the first hands on volunteering I've done. And it is a good thing to be doing. I hope that I can help more in the future.

a few Julia things:

Julia made up a song this morning:

Meow, Meow, I am a kitty,
Meow, Meow, I am very pretty.

And sometimes,

Meow, Meow, I am darn pretty.

I don't know where she got the word "darn" from but she really got a tickle out of using it. She wanted me to listen to her song. She told me it rhymed and she also invited me to sing it and then proceeded to tell me that I sang it wrong.

Last night, we were doing out home work and I asked her to spell some words. I gave her the words -- ham, cat, hat, ants, hand -- and helped her sound it out and write it down. I am pretty sure they are doing this exact thing in school and Julia did not tell me it was too hard for her to do. I was so pleased that she took it on with such gusto.

No comments: