12 February 2009

baby steps

In a comment, Traci asked "Do you or David tell stories that have a beginning, middle and end without the use of a book? Do you think she's capable of making up a story with a beginning, middle and end and communicating that to you? I'll bet she does it in her play - or does she?"

To answer the last first, Julia makes up stories in her play all the time. This is one of the things that makes me think we share a gene pool -- I did this ALL the time. I am sure I spend entire years in school imagining myself the captured Russian princess having to live with commoners. (I read a kid's biography of the last Tzar and his kids very young.) This is one of the reasons to get her to tell complete stories when she is trying to talk to people. I might be projecting here but I see her getting ahead of herself -- mind is going at 100 miles an hour/mouth can only say one word at a time. We need practice but I think that she can do this and eventually be quite good at it.

It is also a good point that David and I must tell stories without books. I think that we do, but we will be more deliberate. Thank you, Traci!

We had our second training class for our social group last night. Another parent volunteered to working during group meetings and now we are set to go! It was a great training. Dana lectured about sensory diets and interventions (not the right word here) with lots of questions and comments, and we spent more than a half hour talking nitty-gritty about our kids. Strengths, weaknesses, behaviors and how to handle them. It was quietly very exciting to see the birth of community.

Yesterday around dinner time, Julia was asked to set the table and set started working. She put out one napkin because that was all that there was in the holder, and asked me for more. I took out more napkins and asked her how many she needed. She told me TWO! I was so happy. This may sound like no big deal but Julia has not dealt with numbers. We play simple number games, there are some on a favorite computer program, she does it in school, but up to this point she has not transferred any of this work to her life (and I 've begun to think that she never would). But that TWO came out as natural as if she always knew. And that it was an answer to a "how many" question was also exciting.

Baby steps.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you all with Julia's number two! I read every one of your posts even though I don't comment on each one.

Recently our newly adopted daughter wrote her name in English and I was thrilled. I know how you feel. :-)

Joy

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,

I knew that she told stories in play, or at least, was pretty sure she did. We have friends who tell their children bedtime stores every night without the use of a book. I've listened in awe because I just don't have the imagination that these other parents do. Once I put the girls to bed and they were so very disappointed in my attempt to entertain them. The oldest, in the middle of my story, yelled, "DAD!!! Help!" Seriously.

So, that's why I wondered about story telling without a book.

Such interesting stuff!

Congrats on the 2!!!

By the way, I've contacted a therapist for Valerie and we should start in a couple of weeks. I initiated contact after a morning rage earlier in the week.

Thanks for your help in processing this area of my life. I'll keep you informed.

Have a great day!

Traci