05 February 2009

Late morning after exciting night

We all woke up late this morning, meaning around 7, and did our morning readies in a completely different order than we usually do. Routine is what Julia thrives on and so she was a bit difficult to get ready. As I was trying to get her dressed, she told me that she didn't want to go to school. "I not feeling good well." "What's wrong?" I asked. "I dying," she responded as if she was saying she had a tummy ache.

Time to bite the inside of the mouth.

We did get dressed -- Julia wore her new sweat pants to school! --, ate breakfast, and got out the door. In the car, Julia told me that she "was feeling so little happy," which translates into very happy. Then, she burst out with "I love school."

Oh, I wonder what runs through that child's head.

My meeting last night went well and I was sooooo relieved. Six families came out of a possible 8 who had committed to the group. One family backed out at the last minute -- their daughter doesn't know she has any differences and they don't want to tip her off by putting her in a "special" group. I don't know this child, so I have no opinion -- not that that would make any difference. I suspect that most of the other kids either don't have a clue that they are different (this is Julia) or know something and would just like to fix it. I am assuming that this other child is more self-aware than most. Oh, these children are so very interesting.

I was grateful that our principal was at the meeting. She held the meeting together and provided a welcomed voice when parent's became uncomfortable. I was able to speak with some passion about what I hoped we could do together. I was not incredibly inspiring or accurate but people appreciated the work that went into getting us this far. Dana -- our autism expert and trainer -- did her overview and explained our schedule. I think that we worked well together and as the evening went on, we were able to compliment eachother.

Parents was generally quiet, but again, as the evening wore on, there was more participation and questions. This morning after dropping Julia off, two of the parents stopped me to ask questions and to talk.

I think that generally it was very well. Next week, getting down to the nitty-gritty of training! We start with the kids on March 4. This is so exciting.

2 comments:

ChinaCalling said...

Good for you! Sounds like a very productive meeting. Interesting about the family who pulled out. Keeping their child in the dark is not going to do anyone any good. But we each travel our journeys at our own pace. Perhaps they will reconsider.

Anonymous said...

High Five, Friend!!

Good job! So happy for you and dare I say proud?

Traci :)