17 February 2009

Renovation

Last summer, I set up the corner of our computer/toy room for Julia and I to work at learning letters. A few weeks ago, I realized that I needed to move on. Letters are learned and sounds and words are the new challenges. Julia helped me finish painting any remaining letters and picked a new color for the corner. I've been working on it slowly amidst getting geared up for our play group. Here are the results.
Her sight words are on her left and attached to the wall with Velcro strips. There is room for more words which excited Julia. She loves having the letters that we've painted or worked with all around her, and she wants to put new things on her bulletin board. This "permanent" schedule is what Julia faces when she sits down. There is another horizontal strip of Velcro near the table which has 9 choices of what to do when we sit down. I am still making all of the "cards" out of felt and sparkly fabric paint. Julia likes what they look like. She also loves the toucans which once belonged to Jon and Jim, and then lived in Cheshire's bedroom, our kitchen, and now Julia's home work corner. Those birds have a dear history.

I don't expect the magic of a newly decorated space to last forever, but right now Julia really likes working here.

No comments: