31 March 2009

baby steps and the punch

This is going to be very short because I still have scads to do to get ready for tomorrow's playgroup. I worked all day on organizing, and now I have to come up with two new game instruction sheets, a new playdough instruction sheet, and write up my report from last week before it gets totally confused with what happens tomorrow.

Anyway, I wanted to note that Julia really decked Aaron today. I heard about it during school when I ran into Christy, Julia's teacher, and the principal. After supper, when Julia and I were cuddling, I asked her about her school day -- I wanted her very close when I asked and not in the car or at the dinner table. Julia told me that she pulled Aaron's hair and then she punched him. I asked why and she told me she "little bit hated" Aaron. She never came up with why she did it, but the two of them totally rub each other the wrong way. They have been in the same class for two years and I hope they can be separated next year. Problem is that there may be only one classroom with the spec ed kids in it so that the aides don't get spread too thin.

What intrigued me about Julia's confession was that she did not try and hide what she did in any way. Some of that is because she doesn't hide that much from us, that is, when she answers us. But also, she was right out there with her feelings even though she knows that I don't like her to hurt anyone. And she said that to me.

On a more positive note, I heard that Julia now asks Anna or Lilah to come and sit on her mat with her during rest time. Julia has been reading with both of these girls and Cynthia, and I've heard there is more appropriate conversation that goes on.

Yahoo! For baby steps.

No comments: