27 March 2009

In the state of baffle

I was talking to Cheshire last night and she told me that my blog was pretty boring, even though she was very interested in what I had to say. I laughed at her -- Thank God the blog is boring! I don't need drama EVERYDAY. When in doubt, take a few pictures and make a pretty scrapbook page.

And then I go to school this morning and work the kids. It is IEP time very soon -- Individual Education Plan for kids who need special education -- and I am wondering what it is that I want from the school. I am at a it of a loss as to what to ask for.

I wrote this to two yahoo group that might have suggestions:

I am trying to figure out what I want from my daughter's school for next year. I wonder if anyone is facing some of the same things and what they are thinking,and I know there are plenty here who had BTDT.

Julia is 8. She is in First grade doing kindergarten work. We had hoped that she would finish kindergarten work this year but I don't think that is going to happen. She is diagnosed PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum but the longer that I know her (2.5 years now) the more I think that at least some of her challenges are related to attachment and trauma. We have been seeing an AT for almost 3 months now and some memories of China are coming up and of course, behavior went down thetubes. All of this expected but it doesn't help at school. Her teachers and support people are all very helpful, even willing to meet with our AT therapist.

Julia is mainstreamed in school and is in a K-1 class. She is also in class with a few other kids on the spectrum so she does not stand out as different as much as she might. BUT because of some changes in district rule changes, there may be no mixed grade classes next year and she may be in a straight second grade. She is no where ready for second grade work. I am sure they will modify the workfor her but she is going to stick out like a very sore thumb. So what do we do?One of her challenges is that it is very, very hard for her to work with the amount of stimulation that exists in a classroom but since another challenge is her lack of social skills, and being in a classroom full of kids is great forher to work on skills. Has anyone ever tried part time home schooling? Julia and I work well together, so it is an option, but we do need the services she gets in school right now. Another thing, I really think that Julia has a very good brain (her art work is incredible) but her teacher and I agree that we have just not gotten to it to progress in a steady pace.

I am wondering if we should be putting our emphasison the AT work for the next few years and hope that when we work some of her trauma out, she will catch up,as much as she is able, later. But then, what does she do in school? Sorry this is so scatter shot. The levels of trying to explain are baffling me right now. Any ideas would be so appreciated.

S

Another thing that I did not ask about is that I've had word that a slot will probably open up for Julia in the Autism waiver program during the summer. This is an intensive program of 20+ hours of therapy a week. Right now, I have no idea just how that would help her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eager to hear if you are able to find help in sorting all of this out, Suzanne.

Hi Cheshire!

If I compared this blog to Salsa in China or one of the other mainstream adoption blogs then it might hit a little on the boring side. But, honestly, reading about Julia, each step forward and each step back, makes her blog one of my absolute favorites.

I suspect we are emotionally connected since we were there on that magical day with all of you and consider Julia Jaden's Chinese sister but, no matter, following Julia's journey from trauma, pain, & grief to family has been such a blessing. (whew should have broken that up! :)

The only thing I wish is that I had some remarkable words to post at the end of each entry. Unfortunately, I'm often left speechless or, at least, without words to say. I just hope that everyone knows that we (Scott, Valerie, Kevin and I all read) are here loving your family.

Traci

Darlene said...

Suz,

I don't think your blog is boring. It's real life stuff that is needed to share with others who may be going thru same situation. Sometimes bloggers blog for themselves and their emotions and not to cater to the readers.

Regarding school. There are plenty of times, outside of school for socialization. I have two children who are now in private school who were hschooled in the past. They have no problems with interaction with other children or with adults.

For Julia, I'd consider more her learning and what environment she needs to be in best to learn. If you two work well together, then that's great.

Can you go to school for the activities they can provide?

We did this for speech for my son when we homeschooled.

Many districts allow this..check with yours.

Best,
Darlene

Arthur Becker-Weidman, PhD said...

Sometimes home schooling can create more conflict and problems in the relationship. It may be best is the primary focus is on creating a secure, sensitive, reflective, and attuned relationship. I frequently recommend that a child be at home with the parent for a period of time. (it rarely lasts more than a few months). If this a "medically necessary and essential part of treatment," then the school must provide a tutor in your home. In the last 15 years or so I've had only a few (three or four) children who had to repeat the year. Many children actually learn more in this situation because the one - to - one attention coupled with the reduced stress of not having to be in school and act at a developmental level that the child is not actually at, allows the child to be less stressed. Your therapist can make this a part of your treatment plan.
regards
I've got more info in my website, www.center4familydevelop.com that you may find helpful.