03 April 2010

Saturday Morning. It is just after 10 and we have eaten breakfast -- David made Matzo Brie (sp?) -- and I met with a gardener who may clean up our little garden -- a task which I just can't find the time for. If I leave it to myself, the garden will get ready for spring in July. My dear Indy friends have offered a garden clean up to us, and it is a gift too precious to refuse, or think of refusing.

David is thinking beyond the moment -- starting to do chores around the house and plan a day. It is so nice to begin to get my partner back!

Julia and I visited her med doc on Thursday and he convinced me to start Julia on a round of anti-depressants to see if it addresses her "stuckness" -- her inability to transition from activities that she is interested in. This third medication is particularly difficult for me. Partially because it is an antidepressant and then it is another chemical going into her body. I asked to change her stimulant to something that did not have so much stuckness as a side effect, but according to her doc, that stimulant does not exist. It was his opinion that the behavior is more related to her autism than her ADHD. I think it also may be related to trauma, but whatever the stimulant makes it worse. I gave into the doc's insistence and will try the Zoloft for a month.

Medicating children which seems so easy for the docs is really uncomfortable. Of course, I wonder if children that I have known who have not always grown up well would have had a better life with medication.

I just don't know. The trauma element of Julia's life makes the decision all that much more confusing.

So much for stirring my worry pot. Time for making banana bread and getting some groceries in this house -- oh, and finding something to put in the easter bunny basket for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

It is so not easy.

I don't know that the stuckness is related to ADHD either.

Autistic behaviour and trauma behaviour can be so similar sometimes! And both are hard to separate from the personality!