25 April 2010

The why of pictures

The pictures in the last four posts were drawn by Julia since the beginning of the year. Most of them within the last two months. This is just a sample of what I have and I do not save everything. I am not quite sure what to do with what I have.

I was more concerned with recording the work when I started taking pictures but as I started really looking at the pictures, I realized how much time and energy I spend describing Julia in words, and how little of her art that I let speak for itself.

Julia has been drawing since October of Kindergarten -- about 2 and a half years. Before that, she used a pencil to make big arches across the page -- a scrawl. She hadn't used pencils or crayons in China. Julia took to play dough and clay before she started drawing, but these days, drawing has taken over.

Maybe I will try to post a few pictures and write what I know about them. Maybe I will post pictures every few months.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Suzanne, I feel as though I have just witnessed something stupendous.

I have contacted Flickr to see if it is within their policy to upload photos of hand-drawn art. Another option to store/file these photos would be Adobe Bridge, which allows you to create folders according to subject. However, the latter option is for your use only; it does not allow others to view her works online.

This child will never need art instruction. In fact, it might just get in the way.

Thank you for sharing these delightful, funny, and joyous expressions.

Sharyn

Jill W said...

Wow, Julia does some amazing stuff! Bethany likes to draw and keep all her pictures, so I gave her a binder to put them in. I used page protectors so she didn't have to punch holes in them. My fridge is covered in pictures, too. If you want to display some in her room, you could hang a "clothes line" and use clothes pins to hang them. --just an idea:)

Bobbi Jo said...

She has amazing talent, truly!! I can't believe she had never used pencils or crayons...she is so adept and creative. Her mind seems to visualize in 3-D, doesn't it?? Very unusual for a child her age.

Marianne said...

Suzanne, Have you read Temple Grandin's book" Thinking in Pictures"? Julia is a gifted artist. A woman from Lismore in Northern NSW was only diagnosed as on the Autism spectrum at the age of 37. Her mother runs a cafe near where I live.

She has set up a website
www.art4autism.com.au
that you might be interested to look at. Think big. Think of some of the great artists who had difficult childhoods. Why would she want to communicate in our way when she has this talent to communicate by art.

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. They are even more amazing than when I was with you last year.

Suz said...

Thank you all for commenting. When I learn more about my mac notebook, I am thinking of starting a website for/with Julia's work.

I love the quirkiness of Julia's work. So many personalities. So many stories too. No picture is just a picture. Every one has a story.

I have read Temple Grandin's books. What inspired me is how she stresses developing a child's strengths and how she continued to learn throughout her life.

And I do think of all those wonderful artists who had troubled childhoods -- their mothers probably had lots of grey hair! LOL

Unknown said...

These are delightful and amazing, Suzanne. Aren't you all so lucky to have found each other?!?!?!? Julia's picture do help me, for one, to 'see' and comprehend her in a different, wonderful way! Love and hugs to you all, Janet