20 April 2010

Tuesday

I do need to do more to understand all of my machines and their wondrous powers, but right now, I just need to write and weed and clean and bike. Forgive me.

We had Julia's IEP meeting yesterday. The meeting was long and good and I think our outcome will be good for Julia. It is so hard to hear that she is so far behind -- yes, yes, she goes at her own pace and we have so much healing to do -- still, my girl, my wondrous girl is so far from what other kids are doing at her age.

Julia is now at the end of Kindergarten for her reading work. She has done almost an entire year's work this year. Her math is way behind -- the child still has little conception of numbers. She is better at counting but loses her place at about 13. When asked to point to consecutive numbers one at a time, she needs to search for each number. As if 43 might not come after 42 this time. She works and she is better now than a year ago, and of course, better than 2 years ago, but we are on a detour that goes through many countries, and on a cobbled road instead of the superhighway.

And we are learning more patience.

I did a language sheet with Julia the other night. It had a number of sentences with the words mixed up. She was able to put the words in order without much support. And even though she needed support to finish, she was interested in finishing. Also, we did a code page where numbers of dots equaled letters. We did this once before and Julia had a hard time finishing it. This time, she knew what she was doing and did most of it be herself. These are first grade skills -- they are easy -- and I am very happy to see her moving there.

I am still shaken by Julia's crying on Sunday. It touches me so deeply to see this child suffer so much. Her statements that she hates herself and that it hurts too much break my hear. And all I have is the ability to love and witness. It is Julia that must do all of the work of healing. How important is learning numbers and learning to fit into an American childhood when she needs to dig deeper and deeper into her well of sadness.

um, too much melodrama? Possibly.

I am looking for a summer math program for a visual learner. Any ideas? I can't spend lots of money and I would like it to be pretty portable. I am looking for something that is fun and starts with the basic and goes through simple addition and subtraction.

5 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Nuffield Maths is great fun.

Ask Sue Buckley about it.

It is a very visual programme.

And it's interesting to see Julia doing well at the code.

LK Silverman has a paper about Teaching Math to Non-Sequential learners, so you might get into the theory first.

And Stephanie Ward from Laughing Stars has some good maths information too. She is teaching her daughter Trishy who is about the same level as Julia.

(Hint: Charlotte Mason and living books!)

Many visual-spatial articles. I feel that it is targeted to the gifted as well

Time for Learning talks about a visual-spatial learner

Making Sense of Maths. The programme focuses on professional development and manipulatives.

And Annie Sullivan said: "I begin to suspect all special methods of education. They begin from the assumption that every child is a kind of [bleep] who must be taught to think. Whereas if the child is left to think for herself, she will do it better, if less showily".

(It is a common homeschooling quote, I have noticed).

Wikipedia has a wonderful article about mathematical anxiety.

And Lili Marlene wrote something about synthenasia with learned logical sequences. This is part of what Jani Schofield does when she associates with 400 the Rat and Wednesday the Cat.

Of course it would have to be checked with the Principles and Standards.

Van Hiele model talks about geometry and shape identification.

There was an Indian model which I liked very much.

Finally John Holt's HOW CHILDREN FAIL has a lot of good stuff, and so does HOW CHILDREN LEARN.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Actually, I got confused between Nuffield/Numicon.

The latter is the correct one; however it may be expensive for American children.

And the Indian model to which I referred comes from Pratham books. The four maths books cover a theme and have more stories and fewer numbers.

Happy Maths 1: Numbers
Happy Maths 2: Shapes and Data
Happy Maths 3: Measurement
Happy Maths 4: Time and Money

Unknown said...

You said, "And all I have is the ability to love and witness. It is Julia that must do all of the work of healing."

What more could be asked?

Anonymous said...

we are on a detour that goes through many countries, and on a cobbled road instead of the superhighway...

What an apt description of the journey you all are on. You might add that Julia has the best of traveling companions in you and David and Cheshire who love her unconditionally and follow where she leads.
Often, the journey is better than the destination!
Cathy

Traci said...

I was also going to make the comment that Sharyn made. I think that line is so rich with power and truth. I must remember it. I have always said that Jade has to decide what to do with her history/how to process it. My job is only to hold her hand and walk with her, but your quote goes further and I like it - A LOT!

And Cathy picks up on the next quote that you nailed. Love your writing....love the way you love her. Can not wait until August.

We're having a get together here the weekend of June 27; I would sure love it if you all could make it. Angie, Chloe, and Lindsey will be here for that one. Let me know if there is any way you can fit it in or even if you're considering it. I'll be sure and send you info. if you think you might be able to come.

Love, Traci