10 June 2008

Another graduation

Later this morning, Cheshire will be getting on a plane to her new grown up life in Brooklyn, New York. I was so looking forward to this time of graduation and her time at home, and I have had a very lovely time with her, even though it might have been rather slow and boring at times for her. Still, she rested, worked on her pre-course work, sorted clothes and old stuff, and hung out with us. And for this, I am so very grateful.

It is not easy to let this child/young woman/adult go. I so believe in the roots and wings theory of parenting, but damn those wings. The bestest kid grows up to use those wings! I would not change a thing. I would not want her to do anything other than what she wants to do but right now that means not having her within sight, within easy access, within my sphere of daily rounds.

Cheshire will get on a plane today, land in NYC, and put together my Chicago bed in her new Brooklyn apartment. And life will begin for her. And I will be cheering her on every day.

PS (actually Wednesday) So she did and she got there. The $30 cab ride was worth it to bring the few but very heavy bags to her apartment door. She slept in her own place last night. My girls is a New Yorker once again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautifully written, Suzanne! How it must make your heart feel to watch her fly away. We shared Yitong's life with her for a short ten months and it makes our hearts hurt to say goodbye...I can't imagine watching those that have been with us nearly a lifetime.

I too believe in roots and wings. My own parents were wonderful at giving us a kiss as we flew off, but back then I didn't know how the whole process made their hearts feel.

Imagine me sitting next to you as we stare up into the sky and watch them fly; a very peaceful, happy, joyful and somehow sad time.

Your Cheshire is pretty amazing and I'm so glad that she's about to embark on the life she has been working toward.

Traci

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

This post brough tears to my eyes; oh I can so empathize as Justin is leaving the nest at the end of the month. That girl of yours has great spirit and is gonna do just fine and so will her mama (wink)