03 June 2008

Looking for a reading program

I am posting this on a few yahoo groups looking for advice for our summer. If anyone who visits has any ideas, please let me know.

I am looking for a program or plan – computer or not – to move my 7 year old closer to reading this summer. Julia is finishing Kindergarten with an IEP in place for next year. She was adopted from China 18 months ago so we have some language issues and she was found to be on the autistic spectrum at the beginning of this year. Her motivation for learning in general is not great, but she has been willing to do some “family work” every night since January. We have been working on recognizing and writing letters for the last few months. She is also beginning to associate sound with the written letters. Julia is a pretty intense visual learner, and we have been supplementing visual with kinestetic exercises (writing in sand or clay). I would be be grateful for any advice about methods, books, or programs.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am gonna suggest a Leap Pad Read & Learn (uses phonics which can be help to ELLers) or similar PLUS some fun summer reads together. We always loved when our Mom read out loud.. just hearing the sounds can help. The thing that makes a reader is love of reading... if you love it and do it together.. chances are she will. The leap pad will let her learn on her own and it is fun with lots of different options...

Anything that combines the learning with physical touch might be helpful.

Just a thought!

Jules said...

We used Headsprout (www.headsprout.com) to help our two oldest children learn to read. They loved playing games while learning and I found it to be well worth the money. Julia sounds so much like our Thomas in many ways. I just love reading your blog and seeing her make such great strides forward.

Cassani Family said...

I would have her evaluated immediately for attachment issues. see www.attachment.org for a therapist near you, that is trained in recognizing and treating Attachment issues. As we discovered with our one daughter (who struggled for four years with reading) that once we treated that, she jumped 2 years within 2 months! Also we have always found Montessori Method worked wonders for all our kids especially those with delays or learning disabilities. Adriana Mom to 8 , three from China and one more on the way

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,

I can only suggest what you already know....read to her every day. Find interesting stories that she can listen to while she works on her clay.

I'll email you a list of some of the classics that we used here when the kids were that age. Like I said, you already know this stuff and it's not exactly what you asked, but it's the only help I can give. I hope someone else is able to help you find a plan to teach her to read.

I'll just remind you of some of the great classics for this age and hope that it helps you.

Oh, and yes Jaden can be a challenge some days, but I feel guilty telling you that. The 100% obedient, sweet girl turned into a full blow 2 1/2 year old and she can dig her heels deep! It's all good though - all appropriate.

I can't wait to see you all in August. I think it's very possible that Yitong will be with us then. We'll have to keep our fingers crossed because her Mom hasn't bought the tickets yet.

Traci

Anonymous said...

I used the Read Naturally computer software for my son (whose has dyslexia). The school had recommended it. He enjoyed it and it helped him a lot.