29 June 2008

On the spectrum

I wrote this to a few of the yahoo groups that I belong to hoping to get some hints or ideas.

I am looking to get in touch with anyone and everyone whose Chinese kid has been diagnosised as being on the autism spectrum. Julia, home at 5.5, has such a diagnosis -- more exactly PDD-NOS or pervasive developmental delay without a known cause. The docs guess that her autistic behaviors come from neglect. We are doing various therapies and also the brushing protocol, BUT as I do more reading, I see stuff about diet and supplements. I am wondering whether anyone has tried various diets and how they worked for their child. The bigger questions is whether autism is autism is autism, or whether behavior triggered by neglect can be modified the same way that behavior that was triggered another way.

I hope this is a bit clearer than mud.

No comments: