08 July 2009

Julia did a solid day of therapy on this very rain day. She did not want to go outside although I offered that she could walk with her umbrella which she usually likes to do. She kept her therapists busy and they are getting her into a simple two picture schedule and a timer. She resisted a bit today but Julia is still getting to pick what she is doing and all her choices are her favorites.

Amanda, one of the line therapists, wrapped Julia in a blanket and rolled her around on the floor. This kind of deep pressure stimulation calms many people with autism. We did some of this when we brushed Julia. I am interested to see if this type of stimulation helps Julia regulate herself.

It is bizaar to have Julia at home but occupied all the time. I know I will grow very used to it but it is hard to imagine that we are going to do this for three years. Right now, I almost miss her as I pass through the room that she is using with a therapist as I do chores or my desk work. When Stephanie, the last therapist of the day, left after 5 today, I gathered Julia up in my arms and gave her big hugs and kisses. I do think that she felt the same because she laughed and gave me the biggest smiles.

After dinner, we were going to take a walk but the mosquittos were so intense and we didn't feel like spraying down with repellent to go around the block. There are jokes about mosquitos as Wisconsin state bird. We went back inside and I made a cocoa bottle for Julia and I to cuddle with. Julia didn't want to cuddle but the bottle convinced her. I made her calm down before I gave her the bottle. When she took it, she immediately got younger. Her face changed, the way she tried to grip the bottle was young, and Julia was vaguely waving her legs in the air like a six month old. She became very comfortable, and now I wonder whether this is what she is so afraid of. Is she afraid that she will melt into a new closeness.

Julia became calmer and between sucks and chews on the bottle told me tht she was dreaming. She told me that she missed us in China until we came to get her. She told me that she fell down on the slide and laid in the dirt and cried and then went to sleep.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am fascinated by Julia telling you that she missed you ,in China before you came to get her and also telling you she was dreaming.Wonder what it all means?

Does she somehow realise there is no time> I am amazed at the joy she is getting from sucking a bottle and being held close. I si understand you wondering if you will ever be able to hold a "real" conversation with her.