20 July 2009

Yawns

I love that I can count Julia's yawns now. Four tonight. One before we went upstairs to read stories, one in the hallway getting to her room, another as we read our book, and one just before I turned out the light. I think this is the first time I have counted so many. Julia's process of letting down her guard, of feeling truly at home, of relaxing into our family is so very slow. Each time I see movement I wonder if we are there yet -- is the process finished. And then it happens again. She still holds part of herself to herself.

I gave Julia the choice of books -- the ones I brought home from the autism seminar -- to read tonight. She asked to read "When I am afraid" and she listened more carefully than she usually does as I read. I didn't really buy the idea that we could read a bunch of books and Julia would learn that Hands are Not for Hitting, how to Listen and Learn, or Learn to Follow Directions. However, it appears that these books make an impression and Julia enjoys them as well.

1 comment:

Snickerdoodle said...

As a Librarian, I totally believe in books helping kids get through difficult bits, and giving them tools to work on stuff they need to work on. Some call is bibliotherapy. I just call it reading.

I'm thrilled that she's enjoying these kinds of books. Good for her! There are so many good ones out there.
Snick :)