02 July 2009

peaceful sleep

Last summer, Julia had a hard time with blankets last summer. She wanted her down comforter with the duvet cover but it was much too hot for her to sleep. No matter how hard I tried to come up with a solution, and I was determined that the solution would be a summer blanket without the duvet, she was not happy and had a hard time sleeping with my substitutes. Our very wise OT suggested that what Julia wanted/needed was weight on her at bedtime and maybe she was comforted by the feel of the duvet material. I refused this explanation and kept trying to get Julia to use what I thought was an appropriate blanket for summer. That was until I could stand it anymore! Julia was having too much touble sleeping. I found a lighter comforter that we had and put it in the duvet cover, and Voila! Julia slept. Of course, our OT was absolutely right!

This summer, we are not even trying to more to a "summer blanket." I told Julia that I was taking the down comforter out of the duvet cover and putting in the lighter comforter. And peace reigned in her bedroom.

Now, she actually likes the change -- the light comforter doesn't make her sweat but it is still fluffy, bulky, and with a little bit of weight.

No comments: