22 July 2009

lazy mom

I've started three entries in the last few days and got exactly two sentences into them and abandoned them. Busy, yes somewhat, but distracted mostly. And lazy. We leave for Jersey tomorrow in the predawn light and will be there through the beginning of next week. The trip was designed for David to visit every relative that will have him, and for me to do estate work -- translated that means cleaning the Bloomfield house. I also thought I had to visit my Jersey lawyer, but it seems that as of yesterday, the estate and selling the house are moving along swimmingly and I do not need to see them. Amazing what can be done with email and faxes, for which I am very grateful.

Also, it seems that the sibs cleaning out the house have taken their jobs very seriously and I will be surprised at how little is left to do. If that is true, I will join David in lots of visits and we could fit in a trip into the City. I can't wait to see Cheshire who should have Spain stories to tell us and also about her first week as an intern in an NYC adoption agency. She is testing the waters to see what the business end looks like and whether she would be interested in making adoption related social work a career. It could turn out to be another big NO, but personally, I can't think of anything better to do.

Julia is still thriving with her therapists. She is showing some temper and a bit of rudeness, and I caution each of them to deal with these attitudes immediately. Julia is very willing to apologize. I am not sure if this is another period of testing or more about how the therapists are invading her space -- both physically and mentally. Julia is also doing more whining to get what she wants but is pretty willing to stop when I call her on it.

These days she is a great companion. On our breaks, she is much more willing to follow my lead.

We do have a little food issues developing -- or developed. Julia had become a very picky eater, and asks for rice ALL of the time. We try to have cooked rice available to her most of the time and I am usually willing to alter or amend the meals I cook to accommodate what she wants to eat. Up to a few months ago, this meant, making pasta without sauce that she did not like, or having more than one vegie available for a meal, but I am finding that more and more, I am making something completely different for her for meals. I am wondering if this has something to do with all of the changes she is going through right now or whether we are growing a picky eater. It was around 8 or 9 that Cheshire became very picky as well and her diet was reduced to three options that we just lived with until she got over it. And she did. I really didn't worry about it with Cheshire and I debate with myself whether I should just let it pass with Julia.

Every few days, I get a batch of estate related mail. I put it in a pile on my desk and worry about it until I deal with it. I know I have at least 2 hours of work that I will do today. Part of me doesn't mind it at all, and then another part would like to put it in a draw and just forget about it. The process is slow, Jersey real estate law is an archaic labyrinth, and keeping every think moving is too much like herding cats. And it is bound to go on for another 8 or 9 months, that is, if everything goes smoothly.

No comments: