01 July 2009

Oh, I am so resistant to writing today. I started something this morning and then just stalled and stalled. Even tonight, David is putting Julia to bed and instead of getting right down to recording the day, I've answered email, chatted, looked up a few things, checked my fav blogs. You know, avoidance.

Why?

Today was great! Intense. Long morning. Energy sucking. But great.

IDS and our team of therapists plus our county social worker reported to our house this morning at nine and we met until almost noon. They asked about Julia, they told me their plans. They are open to doing some neuro-reorg work if I do the research. Their therapy is relationship based and they will work on goals in the areas of social skills, readiness for school work, and regulation. It is going to be a challenge living with therapists in the house four or five hours a day. Just the thought makes me antsy to be alone, but if it will do some good for Julia, I'd adapt.

On first meeting, I like everyone who we are working with. The psycologist knows something about attachment; one of the line therapists was adopted; they all engaged with Julia on her terms.

Afterwards, we were exhausted . . . well, I was. Our afternoon was very mellow. I sorted papers piled on my desk and made a few estate related calls. Julia water colored in a coloring book, doing a much better job than I thought she would do. She was using the paint and not just wetting the page. Then she found an old present that I was saving for a day just like today. It was a kit with a block of compressed sand in which dino bones are embedded. She very carefully did about half of the scraping to reveal the bones.

When we did homework, Julia wanted to read for the whole time. I let her do that and she read up to page 34 in Green Eggs and Ham. There are words she doesn't know but she is picking up words after seeing them just a few times, and she maintains attention while she figures out words. She does not quit when she forgets or doesn't know words. And as soon as she can read a page without many stops, she adds expression. Incredible. And she is so proud of herself.

Tonight, David was putting Julia to bed. As the settled down, I heard Julia asking David for a "sweet little kitten." The idea is from both my sister who talked to Julia about it over and over when we were in Jersey, and Traci had two kittens to play with in Ohio. I am surprised we don't have one already. We'll see what Daddy decides.

No comments: