06 July 2009

Monday

So, we started the morning off with a punch in my ear and me getting very angry. I forcibly put Julia on the bottom stair and needed to go do a few chores before I could deal with her again. I really hate being angry with her and it was over is just a few minutes, but unfortunately I lost my cool. I am so far from perfect.

After she sat for awhile (maybe 8 minutes), Julia calmed down and started being extremely sweet. She told me how much she loved me, asked for hugs, and cuddling, and wanted to do anything to win me back to her again. (So that only made me feel worse for getting angry.) I took her in my arms and hugged and kissed her, but also told her that I saw that she was still trying to be in charge and that I was in charge. She agreed, and I kept on talking.

I wondered if Miao Miao acted more like that at the orphanage -- sweetly manipulate, instead of raging tantrums like I imagine that Julia was -- and if Julia had acted like that, like she was this morning, would she have been treated better. I don't know. I don't even know if she registered that other children acted differently, but she is so smart and she sees a lot.

Our schedule is therapy in the morning, a long break for lunch and the pool, and then more therapy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just a thought, Suzanne:

Anger is a self-protective mechanism that is intended to keep us from being misused by others. After the punch, this little girl saw what it was like for someone [you] to get angry and still maintain control and love, even while obviously angry.

What better lesson could there be ;-)?