08 May 2010

mothering

I was hoping that after therapy today, we'd go plant shopping or walk the botanical gardens but David is walking around the house with a scarf around his neck. Another cloudy, windy, chilly day. We are not going to walk the Farmer's Market this morning even though it might be the best day to do it. We will put another fake log in the fireplace today, eat soup, and be cosy.

David's last set of tests showed a nodule on a lung and so he needs a biopsy done next week. It can be many different things, it could be absolutely nothing, and could be a cause for worry, but whatever it is they will treat it aggressively because of his medically induced lack of immunity. I do worry. Of course, I do.

Last year, at this time, the day before Mother's Day, my mother was dying and Cheshire brought her a card and some of our favorite lotion. Cheshire's visits to her grandmother and attention during her last days was far beyond what my mother was entitled to from my child. Cheshire gave my mother what she always wanted in greater measure from her children -- respect and care due to her station not due to her actions or feelings. My mother never cherished Cheshire for who she was -- never sent her a note for a good concert, never congratulated her for school achievements, never had special words for her when Cheshire travelled, never stretched her vision to accommodate Cheshire's dreams. And yet, last year when my mother was dying, Cheshire visited and sat with her for some of her last weekends, doing what she could, abiding with her. Cheshire gave to my mother what my mother could not give to her children, an unconditional love with no strings, no guilt, no history. On a weekend when everyone is lauding mothers, my heart swells thinking of my marvelous daughter.

4 comments:

Snickerdoodle said...

Some mothers/grandmothers are unable to show/give/demonstrate love, as they were given nothing from their mothers. A generational kind of thing. But we mothers today know that it is so important to show/give/ demonstrate love to our children.

So so so important.

Happy Mother's Day to you!
Best,
Snick :)
dd Sunshine 9 Viet Nam
dd Brilliance 4 in June, China

Cindi Campbell said...

My own mother simply did not know how to show love or give affection until she was up in age. My mom tried so hard with my children and it did not come easy or automatic. Some people are just not able. I have had lots of moments wishing I had a different mother. BUT what a great mom your daughter will be.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Chesire is marvellous!

"Abide with me": that's what we are called to do.

Happy Mothers' Day.

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, Happy Mother's Day, belated. I do agree with you that Mom could not show her children the unconditional love that we all needed from her. How I longed for a more loving mother. For many years I never thought Mom loved me at all.

Chesire, did give of herself last year during Mom's final days. Like I said then she was a godsent. She did more then I could ever say. Chesire's mear presence was more then any of us could ask for. You and David should be very proud of her. She has turned into a wonderful young lady.

However, just to let you know. Mom was very proud of Cheshire and her accomplishments. She often spoke to me about how proud she was of Cheshire. Mom, did cherish Cheshire for whom she was and whom she had become. For she was extremely proud of her. Cheshire spent Mom's last days with her and I can remember Mom being excited that she was coming and just could not wait till she did come. I remember the first weekend Cheshire came after Mom was released from the nursing home. Cheshire called me and said she was coming during the week. She called Saturday morning to let us know what time she would get in that afternoon. Mom, would not eat lunch or do anything untill Cheshire came. When Cheshire was a few minuites late she was concerned she would not come or something happened to her. So yes I understand what you are saying however just because our Mother could not express herself in that way to her children or grandchildren does not mean that is how she felt. For I know first hand she was proud of her and of her children even though she did not show it.

These are some of the things I learned while caring for Mom during her dying days. I believe it was something I needed to learn.

Just to give you a little more insight. Food for thought maybe.

Love, Carol