22 May 2010

Saturday morning on the deck

I am sitting on my front deck, it is a perfect temperature, the bugs don't know how nice it is. I hear birds, sirens, and lawn mowers. I just wrote a long passionate post for a new yahoo group for autistic kids, most are from China right now. I know I have to do some work, house work, this morning and find a recipe for the picnic we are going to later this afternoon, but I want to just sit here and type. Julia is with a therapist -- Ellen. I spied the two of them walking to a playground a few blocks away. Julia looking all the world like a typical kid, neuro-typical. For a moment, I wonder about cure and possibilities. I can't let myself get to far with that day dream because . . . well because it is such a dream. Still, I am looking forward so much to the summer home with her. Just a few more school weeks and then we can sit on the deck and have breakfast together.

As I was doing Julia's hair this morning, she thought I hurt myself with a comb. I told her that I hadn't and then she said, "I worry about you Mommy." I cannot give her a worry free world. She has seen too much, she knows too much. We work backwards from fear, hurt, neglect, abuse to absolute love and support. What a challenge.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Hi,

Could you share the name of the new Yahoo group. I was just thinking that I am in a place where I badly need some support and help with Meileigh's issues. This place may be just the ticket.

Thanks,

Carol

Suz said...

Carol,

The name of the group is Mothers in Autism, and it is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mothersinautism/. Come and join us.

Suzanne