30 May 2010

Sometimes the answer is so much there, so close, so right in front of your face, maybe part of your face, that it is impossible to see. I have been looking for how to inspire Julia to learn. I've been writing to people and talking to David about the possibility of home school for a year from now so that she can learn about being excited about learning.

I am not saying that I have any answers at all about how I could do this, but Julia is not getting this in school. And Julia has about the best the the inclusive classroom setting. But her teachers and aids intellectually drag her through the day. Julia is learning something, but is not learning to learn.

This morning I googled "dinosaur curriculum first grade" and scads of websites popped up. I was talking about it to David very quietly over breakfast once Julia had left the table. Of course, she listened to everything. She made herself a book (stapling several pieces of green paper together), drew some dinosaurs, and asked for help with the writing on each page. She has done this at school and with therapists often, usually led by the adults, and she is also watching me put her T-rex Julia book together. So she has models but she started it herself and worked diligently for more than a half hour.

So, now to figure out what to do with this interest. Any suggestions for a good "dinosaur curriculum" will be appreciated.

This morning we did not go to church. Instead, we took a bike ride. I put the tag along on my bike and Julia joined me as David rode alone. We did not get incredibly far, but we did it, and we will do it again very soon. As much as I worry about David's recovery, he is able to stretch himself all the time. He gets tired (and grumpy) but he is also making great progress.

I spoke with Cheshire who is stressing over the future. She is 25 and doesn't have life nailed down. Oh, how I remember that feeling. Ugh. No fun. But it never gets nailed down. And maybe that is the only thing that makes maturity worth reaching. I am a little concerned that I have not heard from the LEND people yet. I thought that would take care of my immediate future learning -- maybe such definition is too much of luxury for me.

No comments: