14 June 2010

Dilophosaurus

Oh my goodness, how to begin. How to make the school experience with me better and more cooperative than her teachers at school have managed. I am determined not to force her, not to have to make her sit down and attend. How?

We have time today to ease into everything. We went to speech therapy at 8. When we get home, Julia wants to draw cats -- trace and add -- and she spends about 45 minutes working on one pictures of two cats. I ask her to sign and date the picture. She balked about this on Saturday, but today she complies. I told her the artists sign and date their work. We have plenty of pictures on the wall that are signed and dated to attest to this custom.

Then I get out the dinosaurs. We started with the T-rex on Saturday and instead of spending days on one dinosaur, I decided to introduce a dino a day for awhile until we get enough to sort them, add them, and find similarities and differences. But none of that is for today.

I show her the sheets I've printed out on the dilophosaurus. I start going over the sheet with her but she is not interested in the information. I ask her if she wants to draw a dilophosaurus and she agrees. I notice in her drawing that she is giving the dinosaur the right number of claws (including dew claws on their feet). She was listening.

Maybe some computer work? Help my homeschooling friends!

As the day progressed, Julia had a few hours of therapy and then we went to the library and met Daddy for dinner. Whenever she could, Julia sat down to draw. There is a lovely dino whose name Julia knows but not me, in the writing notebook I carry around. She is coloring in more than one color and using shading and something that look like feathers. At home, she is drawing a ovaraptor egg with embryo inside and a mama ovaraptor. Before bed we watch a a national geographic film called dinosaur hunters. Julia is not bored in the least.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Suzanne, If she comes home for her schooling is she still able to receive the public schools resources for her therapy, etc.? I don't even know what all is coming from the public school, it's just a question that I wondered about.

Traci