26 June 2010

sorting

Julia is playing with this tiny bunch of plastic flowers and bouquet stems from a playmobil garden set. There are five different colors of flowers with at least 6 flowers in each color, there are also at least five bouquet stems to put the flowers on. She took all the flowers off the stems, sorted them by color, put them on bouquet stems by color, played with her squirrels a bit with the single color bouquets. Then, she took the flowers off the stems and sorted them so there was one of each color of flower in each pile and again she is making bouquets.

Now, what should I be doing. Just let her sort and gather? Point out to her what she is doing? Suggest that she resort in some special way? I can see that what she is doing is a pre-math exercise but . . . is she learning? Should I be doing something or just let her do it herself and talk about it later? Do I have to talk about it?

There is soooo much I do not know.

3 comments:

Snickerdoodle said...

Just let it happen all around you. She *is* doing math. Younger kids do math like this all the time, without them even knowing they are doing *math*. As a former Kindergarten teacher, I've seen kids do this all the time. I'd never actually stop them, and say, "gee, nice sorting" unless we were in the middle of a sorting unit. If they were doing it naturally, I'd just smile and carry on. :)

Best,
Snick :)

Suz said...

Thank you, Snick. I am working at trusting my instincts, although I overthink all the time.

Anonymous said...

yup, she is doing what most pre-schoolers do. unfortunately, she didn't have the proper tools (AKA toys) when she was a pre-schooler. so, she is doing it now.

all good.
Cathy