15 June 2010

ten

Julia and Daddy are upstairs getting ready for bed. That girl talks and talks. Then, I hear: "There are ten friends and only one dinosaur Julia." That is the first time that I have ever heard Julia refer to numbers without a prompting. Ten friends! The child wants ten friends! For me this is huge. She may not be able to picture 10 friends yet, and lord knows, real friends are still a dream for her, but she said TEN!!! I feel like a little ray of light is shining on my dear child and a divine power put that word into her brain.

Yes, pretty sappy, but I've worried so much about her lack of number sense. It is almost impossible to explain a complete understanding of numbers. I have said over and over that I couldn't really wrap my brain around that, but that has been Julia.

I know she just uttered one sentence using two numbers and maybe I should not be ready to send up fireworks, but how can I not celebrate when my girl has uttered something that I wondered if she would ever understand. Ten. A number.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Very excited for you. Celebrating this huge milestone with you!